Monday, May 25, 2009

8 Days is not a long time- or is it?

I leave my pretty little island in eight days for Paris. I am a huge melange (mix) of emotions right now, including, but not limited to: sad, happy, excited, remorseful, hungry, tired, confused, anxious, content and indifferent. You probably don't want to know, but here you go anyways. (I mean, I have internet access this afternoon; I'm almost obligated to blog :) )

I cannot believe my time is coming to a close. I have had an incredible time here. I've met some amazing people from all around the world, I've learned an entirely new culture and language, seen incredible sights, and yet I could probably still do more. The thing is, that I'm just so dang excited to experience Paris and France (this time for more than 6 hours) that it has become my new focus. So, right now, I'm slightly indifferent to Reunion. Sure, there are plenty of things I have yet to do. This is going to sound selfish I think, but my time here has suited my purposes, and I'm ready. It's all coming at a good time, though. I've done some good thinking and growing here, and while I love it here, I'm beginning to feel just a wee bit claustrophobic. I mean, I can spend only two hours on a bus that makes frequent stops and get to the other end of the island. Like I said, there's more to be done, but you get the idea.

Anyway, tiny things, I must admit, have begun to get under my skin. For example, all of the creepy or disrespectful men that yell or look at you like you're edible all the time. Or, the lack of easy transportation. I think the phrase "waiting for the bus" could be the subtitle to my entire experience. Warning to readers: selfish and spoiled American coming out: I can't wait to have my car again! Whew, I said it. Perhaps the little oddities that stick out to me really aren't that bad, but since I'm anticipating my return to America (Happy Memorial Day, everyone), they stick out even more.

I do not, in any way, want to sound ungrateful or disrespectful of Reunion. En fait, I really love it. Studying here has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. So, in the next week, I plan on seeing a few more sights, languishing on the beach for old times' sake, and starting to pack. Eight days to soak up Reunion, eight days until Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment